Hanoi

Friday 3 August 2012

Vietnam was occupied by different countries for thousands of years and only had about 30 years of freedom. Compared to others, they only had a short period of time to develop their country but they are now the second fastest developing country in Asia.

I think it’s very touching when they talk about their history with so much emotion, pride and nostalgia like it was yesterday, because this is something that I don’t have. I’m glad that I’m Chinese, and I think I know Chinese history, language and culture quite well...but I don’t feel the same way about my country the way they do because I haven’t been through any difficult or victorious times with my country since I grew up in Canada. I grew up in a place where people already have the rights that Vietnam is still fighting for today, but we don’t remember how many men and women died for us to have those rights anymore...

Hanoi is a place where we can still see the older tradition. It is messy, ridiculous at times, but always interesting and raw. I love this place. People make good use of what they have. It reminds me of the smaller towns in China.

I spent most of my afternoon walking around the old quarter of Hanoi today. To sum up my afternoon;
-pho
-many trees
-cute and natural vietnamese girls
-dangerous drivers
-a whole family on 1 motorbike
-dead pig on a scooter
-honkings
-narrow houses
-plastic stools
-handicrafts
-jaywalking
-1$ beer







 
>
Copyright © Miss-EJ.com. All Rights Reserved