Essaouira

Tuesday 22 September 2015

I'm in Essaouira!

My worst nightmare just came true; I found a centipede crawling on my bed. Not kidding.

Other than the centipede, I've been having a good time in Essaouira. It's a charming little town with lots of shops, art galleries, wood workshops, a harbor and fish market and a long beach. People are much more laid back and open-minded; you will see women with headscarves and traditional clothing as well as people wearing more revealing clothes. The medina is much cleaner, and people don't harass you. There are lots of hippies and surfers around.

I went for a wander in the medina today, and ended up at the port. There was so much going on; weather-beaten men mending their vessels and buckets of fish being tossed ashore. Then, I walked to the beach. It's supposedly one of the cleanest beaches in the world. A lady approached me and asked if I wanted henna tattoos. I never liked tattoos, I find them tacky most of the times, but I'm in Morocco and wanted to do it just for the experience :)

I've been approached by a few guys, in a non-creepy way. One said he's seen me a few times (because it's a small place), and wanted to invite me to his show. He said he understands me because probably a lot of people will stare and shout things like "konichiwa", especially because I'm a solo female traveler. People see my pictures and think it's fun...but they forget that it takes someone who is very comfortable being alone, being themselves and being outside of their comfort zone, especially in developing countries. Another guy who approached me, told me about his job and his family, and just wanted to have a tea and a walk. Another also wanted to have drinks and be facebook friends, haha. People are incredibly friendly!




 
>
Copyright © Miss-EJ.com. All Rights Reserved