Day 1 in Vic Falls

Sunday 1 September 2013



I arrived in Victoria Falls on September 1 after 33 hours of travelling.

I went in town to grab something to eat. I usually don't get lost but the roads look the same everywhere; the trees are naked, and it's brown and dusty. There aren't many road signs or street names. Luckily, people have been very polite and helpful. Most people speak some sort of English here as Zimbabwe is one of the better educated African countries. "Where are you going, sister?" a nice local guy named Reward asked as I was about too look at the map.

Here's him. He also showed me around town.

Then I came back and decided that I should call my mom to let her know that I got to Africa in one piece. A girl who stays at that same place wanted to go to Shoestrings Backpackers to have a drink because it was her last night in Africa. I was like...hmm, I'm jet lagged and tired, but I'll come with you. Shoestrings in a hostel where people party everynight, local people also hang out there.

There were people playing drum, dancing, singing...

I met some cool people, but around 11 pm, which is still early, I left because I was going to go canoeing the next day. The security guy was so adorable and didn't want to let me go unless I take a cab because there are no lights on the streets at all. I was almost going to risk and walk back in this darkness. In the end, a nice local guy walked to town with me so I can take the cab from there.

What I love most here is nature and the natural coexistence of humans and animals. I see baboons hanging out in front of supermarkets trying to steal people's food, wild hogs minding their own business in the middle of the road, elephants running into fences...and now there's this chicken-like animal right in front of me as I'm writing this. This isn't Granby zoo, this is the real thing...

Oh, and a dog is biting me...
 
>
Copyright © Miss-EJ.com. All Rights Reserved