Panama City

Saturday 23 August 2014

I decided to take a night shuttle bus to Panama City. I asked the first guy I saw for directions...and I think I shouldn't have. He was a fat dirty black alcoholic man claiming to be from the Bronx in New York. "I know where it is, follow me!" he said. I was like...okay. "You're so pretty I want to do things to you all night...", he mumbled as we were walking. I was so disgusted and shocked that he said such inappropriate things. "Is it still far?" I asked. I was kind of scared and I was looking for a way to escape. "Shut up and keep walking" he said.  What the fuck, right?! I told myself that if it's not the next building, I will make up an excuse to get away from him. Luckily, it was the next building. "Okay, thanks!" I quickly said as I was walking away quickly. "Give me a kiss, baby?" he shouted. "I don't think so," as I walk even quicker.

That was a scary experience, but at least I found the office of the company that does the transfer. At the office, there was a bunch of Australians who were going to Panama City as well. Everybody took the water taxi and then a cab to the bus terminal. One of the Australians sat next to me. He offered me a smirnoff but I refused. We talked a little but he really annoyed me. He kept pushing me and sleeping on my side. I'm pretty sure he was doing it on purpose (he wasn't actually sleeping) because he was trying to make advances on me or something. I couldn't sleep because of him. I wanted to confirm that he was actually doing it on purpose, so I sat up straight, grabbed my pringles and started eating them. That way, if he wasn't actually sleeping, he would know that I was awake and will not "push" me. He kept moving around in his sit, pretending to be sleeping, except that he wasn't touching me this time. That means that he is fully aware of what he was doing. What a slut, right?

Then, I closed my eyes again and tried to sleep. He started to "push" me again, so I very rudely kicked him, accidentally of course because I'm sleeping, y'know! He touched me again, but I hit him harder...in my sleep. He eventually stopped after he realized that I 'm not going to let him step over me, so he slept on his side of the sit like a little bitch. I managed to sleep a little bit after this incident. It was like a refrigerator in the bus; I had cold sweat because it was so cold. It was a terrible bus ride.

We arrived at the bus terminal in Panama City at 4:30 AM. I was so sleepy. I saw everyone standing next to the bus after they got off. I didn't understand why. They must be waiting for another bus to go somewhere else, I thought. I didn't even know where in Panama City I was, I wasn't even sure I arrived in Panama City, there were no signs anywhere.

I went outside and asked a cab driver how much is it to go to my hostel. He said it was 10$, which means that I was indeed in Panama City. I got on the cab and as he started driving, I realized that I didn't have my backpack! Damn, I'm so stupid! I understood why people were waiting next to the bus; they were waiting for their luggage! I ran back, and luckily, they were still distributing the luggage.

I arrived at the hostel. A young guy opened the gate, and obviously it was too early to check in so I slept in the reception area. At least, the couch is comfy. I felt so uncomfortable; I was stinky and sticky from hot and cold sweat. I slept for 2-3 hours and woke up for breakfast and have a walk around the neighbourhood. I finally got to check in and shower! Okay, that was a long story just for the transfer to Panama City, haha.

So, here's a little bit about Panama City; it looks like a quite modern city with its quirks. People say it looks like Miami, except it's more Spanish. I think people say this to attract tourists. Miami is on a beach, Panama City is not. Some people say it looks like Singapore, but Singapore is clean and Panama City is not. Tall building just looks like tall buildings everywhere. But there is definitely less staring here, and I like to see Latinos in business suit. I guess I could pass for a local since there are many Chinese living in Panama.



Panama is a place that is developping way quicker that what it is ready for. This building is the perfect example. It seems so modern and out of his world. BUT! This building is empty because it is not safe.



The canal really made an impression on me. I went to the museum and watched boats going through the different locks. The water fills up the tank , rising the boat above sea level in less than 8 minutes. I'm quite impressed by all the man work it took to build this and by the fact that it is still functioning the same way it always did, with the same locks and the same motors. Human being are capable of great things and the Panama Canal is a very good example.



This is a museum built by an artist for his wife. It is supposed to be finished in 2009, ha. For Panamanian, tomorrow doesn't mean tomorrow, it just means...not today.


I also visited the causeway, a natural reserve and saw a sloth. The rest of pictures are taken in the old town. It is a nice place; some buildings are very old and abandoned while some buildings are renovated. Every building has a little something to it.











Later, I went back to the hostel and took a nap. When I woke up, my roomate, a Spanish guy in this thirties, started telling me that he has a date with a local girl, but he did not want to go alone and wanted me to come with him because he didn't want the local girl to get the wrong idea. He is also an auditor, I mean, what are the chances, haha, two auditors hanging out together. I went with him to the fish market to meet her, but she didn't show up. So we went to the old town to have supper. I'm glad we went there because it is very beautiful at night with all the lights, and it's also considered the safest part of town.

I spent an awesome time here in Panama City :)
 
>
Copyright © Miss-EJ.com. All Rights Reserved