Guatemala city

Saturday 2 August 2014


I guess the reason why I'm not that excited about this trip is because Central America isn't my top destination. I wanted something more challenging, but I settled for Central America because I only had three weeks, and Central America is not too far and the time zone is close enough to keep jet lag at a minimum. I knew that was going to be an easy trip, even though my Spanish is non-existent. I know the most essential words at least...Baños? Gracias, oh and Café con leche :)

I arrived in Guatemala city at noon and took a taxi to zone 1, which is where I stayed. The city is divided into 22 zones and zone 1 is known as the most dangerous zone due to its disturbing crime rate. I was actually a little scared after reading the horror experiences of other travellers...but there is a lot of history there and a fantastic flavor of its own.

I did not take many pictures because I didn't want to attract unnecessary attention. I found a street where there were people performing, singing, beat boxing, dancing, braiding kids hair, doing make-up, etc. It's quite different from the other countries I've visited before. I loved the rustic look and the mountains surrounding the city.





I've been approached by a group of young girls who wanted to interview me for a school project, which I thought was weird, but we were in a public park so I accepted to be interviewed. The interview was a little odd; they asked questions about me and what I did so far...I tried to not give them too much detail.

Right after they left, another guy approached me saying that he's doing the same project and wanted to interview me. Ok, that is weird I thought...but again, we were in a very public place so I didn't mind. "The girls I talked to...is it true that they are doing an interview for a school project?" I asked. He probably thought what I thought and reassured me that he's wasn't trying to mug me. I felt bad I made him feel this way; it is probably hard for him to talk to foreigners because every foreigner is told that Zone 1 is dangerous. So I sat down with him and we talked for a while.

It reminded me to keep an open mind when you travel, and don't let people tell you to avoid a place just because it's not safe. There are no places that are too safe. Just be careful as you would be anywhere else and you should be fine. Go out there and let stories happen to you!

 
>
Copyright © Miss-EJ.com. All Rights Reserved