Copan

Monday 4 August 2014

Today is a 6 hours drive to cross the border to Honduras. It's nice to see the wild country side of Guatemala, volcanoes and mountains. I made it to Copan around noon. Societies developed here as early as 2000 B.C. due to the fertility of the land. It is also known to be a famous archaeological site of the Maya civilisation.

Here are some pictures of the quaint city. The houses are all very colorful and the roads are paved with cobblestones. It is similar to Antigua but much more simple and quiet, which I love.
 







When I first arrived there, my mission was to find postcards to send home, but I ended up in the Macaw Mountain Bird Park and Nature Reserve in which we can observe endangered birds and walk along forest trails. It has mission to reintegrate the different birds into nature; it is a pretty cool project and has a great array of wildlife. I saw lot of species that I've never seen before, such as macaws..and banana spiders, haha. You can also take pictures with the birds, which I did :)



The next day, I went to see the archaeological site of the Maya. Hiring a guide is highly suggested since it's an archeological site; all you see are trees and rocks if you don't have one, ha. Quite honestly, I didn't know anything about the Mayas before this visit, but the guide taught me so much. The quality of the artwork is amazing and a lot of details are still intact.
 






Lastly, I went to explore the Copan Valley atop a horse. My guide spoke no English at all, and I obviously don't know any Spanish. I just nodded and smiled to everything he said; I'm not sure if he realised that I actually didn't understand much. I loved the remoteness of being in the valley, kids saluting you, the tranquillity of the country side...



 
>
Copyright © Miss-EJ.com. All Rights Reserved