Two years ago I learned...

Friday 11 June 2010


Two years ago across the sea, a stranger who couldn't speak my language set me back on the right track with his patience and kindness. I learned from him that the world isn’t as wrecked up as I once thought it was.

On my last night of abroad studies, sitting in front of a club watching drunk people walking out, I learned the real meaning of living everyday like it's your last. There are things that, although foolish and immoral, don't need any reason for its worth to be perceived.

As I was walking by his room with my luggage and ready to leave, I learned about the pain of the unspoken words urging to be said and heard but forced to be retained in the hope to not cause any more damage.

On a plane flying back at the end of an enriching journey, I learned that love allows you see the beauty of the most unattractive city and it can motivate you to leave the most beautiful ones similarly.

In an appartment while the dog was cheerfully jumping around trying to get my attention, I saw the impact of irreversible actions on other people's life by the most brutal means. The greatest punishment is to be subject to the whip of your own remorse

On the last day of the year 2008, I recognized that the most simple and little things can make you the happiest in the world, but only if you allow it. I learned that it can be a form of blessing if you're able to accept and appreciate that.

As I was making one of the most important decisions in my life, I learned that love can become selfish and greedy despite the fact that it's real and unconditional.

On my dad's birthday, I learned that relationships are not defined by their length. It's the misfortune of brevity that makes up the beauty of short acquaintances.

Lying sick in a small room where only the noise of the fan can be heard, I understood that I wasn't alone in the world and I can no longer go around saying that I don't give a damn. I learned to take better care of myself for those people who love me.

On a warm and sunny day near the end of summer, sitting on a bench in front of the hospital, I learned that sometimes as much as you love someone, you can be the destructive element in their lives. I learned to make the conscious decision to walk away from them, even if it means to silently accept all the blame. Let it go, and be a better friend towards the next person.

In an empty computer lab at school on the first weeks of winter, I realized the effect of my baggage as I saw their reflection in my actions. I learned that to be loved is to be lovable. I determined to let go of everything, including the good ones to be able to start anew and give people a clean slate.

Near the last day of 2009, I learned that carefree actions, although inconsiderate, are the liveliest. Most importantly, I learned that raw and unguarded love, without that selfish prudence, is the most precious.

In the library of school standing in a busy line-up, I learned that denial only gets you to carry longer the people and incidents you wish to forget.

As the snow slowly started melting, I learned that happiness isn't someone that just shows up; it's something you have to work toward. I took charge of myself and accepted the blame for my own misfortunes, and responsibility of my faults.

On the balcony of a club watching people dancing, I learned that love doesn’t fall on your lap every weekend.

On my way home after a night class, I understood that the ones who care to investigate your past will never be able to help you move forward. I learned to get rid of unhealthy influences and never look back again.

At the first sight of spring, sitting in a Starbucks watching people passing by, I learned that you cannot do wrong without suffering wrong. Dishonesty and disgraceful actions will always eventually be punished.

In the parking lot in front of a buffet, I learned that love that remains due to the agreement in opinion is not as memorable and unrelenting as the ones that persist through divergence of opinion and years of denial.

In a Carlton store, as I were looking through the cards, I learned that despite the amount of inflicted hurt, the grudge and misguidance once involved; there is always room for forgiveness.

Lastly, I learned to embrace the moment because everything inevitably changes, maybe not now, but it eventually will. I remember how I secretly hoped that love that fell apart will fall back together at a better timing. Although painful to face, the valuable lessons are important to understand because our attitude controls our lives. One day, sweet will surprisingly be found in the bitterness of its reminiscence.
 
>
Copyright © Miss-EJ.com. All Rights Reserved