Trust

Sunday 16 October 2011

Trust is a funny thing. I don't understand why people put so much importance into that irrelevant word.

Do I trust Jonathan? Do I trust that he'll always be faithful, treat me good, take care of me, be there when I need him? Of course not and the reason is plain and simple; people change and situation arises.

We could be understanding, open-minded and put in so much effort to know someone but ultimately, how close do you come to their true essence? Do we really know anything important about anyone? What can you trust and based on what? And if you can never understand someone 100%, then why would trust be relevant?

I trust Jonathan's driving skills enough to sit in his car because based on the past, he always drove me safely to my destination. I also trust his cooking skills because those are things that are subject to little change and can be depended on based on history. I could bet 5000$ that his pasta sauce will taste awesome but, not my whole fortune. I trust him that today he's madly in love with me, but tomorrow? In 6 months? 10 years? I trust him 99% that he'll not beat me up because he's sweet and loving...but if he's on drugs and we're having a fight? Who knows.

The only ways you could 100% trust someone is by choosing to ignore the facts because they are your family, or you have to be completely naive.

They say that a lack of trust always create insecurity. However,I think insecurity only happens when we're afraid of not being able to forecast changes and that things won't remain the same...but of course they won't. What never changes in this world? Even my BigMac doesn't always look the same.

Lastly, just because you don't trust doesn't mean you have to be miserable, lonely and worry all the time. No matter how great things are right now, how much you trust them at this moment, who can guarantee tomorrow? And although nothing is guaranteed, there is absolutely nothing to be sad about. Sometimes, you just have to let go, accept that circumstances change and so do people.

Trust could really just be a thing of the moment, even irrational at times.

...and in Bertrand Russell's words?

A young turkey was brought into a farm and was fed regularly every morning at the same time with a fresh supply of grass. Like any other being interested in the future, he wanted to convincingly predict the future and not use the first few days of his life as an indicator of things to come. Having an erudite lineage, he figured he should not commit the fallacy of jumping the gun to reach a conclusion and instead would gather a large data set for his observation.

After 364 days, drawing from the specific instances, he concluded the obvious generalization – he would be well fed every morning until he grew old and died. Unfortunately, the very next day was Thanksgiving and the turkey was slaughtered and became the star meal of the day at the farmer’s house.
 
>
Copyright © Miss-EJ.com. All Rights Reserved