Boat People Museum Fundraising Gala

Thursday 16 May 2013

Here's an article I wrote, that's supposed to go in the Vietnamese journal, for the event that took place last Sunday. I'm quite upset about the incidents surrounding this, and I will not mention anybody, but someone posted this on their website without my consent or even giving me credit which I find highly disrespectful. Someone I know, yes. I really would cry if I wrote for a living and someone did this to me. I don't know why they did this, and I don't care either, because I'm no longer part of any of it.

I want to share this article on my blog nonetheless, just because well, I wrote this and I don't care where it ends up, but my readers know me.

Oh, and before anybody asks, I'm not Vietnamese, but I enjoy reaching out to others and creating something beyond who I am through words, and to serve a larger meaning than immediate narcissism.

Enjoy!

On May 12th, 2013, 2TwentyGirls and hundreds of people gathered at the Boat People Museum Fundraising Gala in Montreal, to remember the millions of Vietnamese who fled the country to escape political oppression, and their story of deprivation and hope, fear and resilience. Some made it to a safe land, but more than a third were buried at sea.

With the support of KA Magazine, 2TwentyGirls presented an abstract yet memorable NEVIK fashion show that recounts the story of the Boat People. One after the other, the models walked onto the stage to the rhythm of Ashley King's music, recreating images of the Boat People walking in circles and singing sad songs. Subsequently, the models gracefully fell into the powerful water and hungry natural forces. The bodies laid beyond reach and evoked images of separation, death and the sea claiming many lives, waves after waves.

Fortunately, as the sky comes to its darkest, the sun also starts to rise. The model in an elegant bright yellow gown by NEVIK, representing hope and the sun, guided their way out of the darkness of the sea. She also symbolizes all the reasons for which we must be courageous and look forward.

War has no beginning and no end. Today, it's no longer a battle against communist persecution, but a battle within. It's a conflict between traumatic memories of a distant past and a haunted present that The Boat People are facing. Now, it's our turn to fight. We are the voice of the Boat People, as well as the voice of the many Vietnamese Canadians, who attempt to understand their parent's past.

The past of our parents are difficult for us to perceive sometimes, but as time goes by, their past deeds seem so much more grand and fantastic than before. It's amazing to think that children of the Boat People went on to become professionals, with amazing smiles, passion, talents and admirable dreams. On this incredible journey, 2TwentyGirls helped to raise over $115,000 for the Vietnamese Boat People Museum, honoring our parents and many others on the same boat.

Be with us.

Be the change you want to see in the world.


...and let's end this post with a picture taken by Vien Minh Van, the photographer backstage. I look like a bird :)

 
>
Copyright © Miss-EJ.com. All Rights Reserved