Char siu

Monday 5 November 2012


Every weekend, either me or Jonathan cooks. Last weekend, he made chili. I thought it was so cute when I saw on this computer a list of ingredients to make chili that he got from Internet. Next weekend will be my turn and I decided that I will make barbecued pork or "Char Siu". I woke my mom up at 10 AM, which is quite early for my mom, to teach me.


Ingredients
Pork. It doesn't matter how much. Any parts of a pork is good; some like the belly, some like the butt, but the best are the shoulders, because it's partly fatty and partly skinny. You can only find big pieces of pork like these in East Asian markets. The pork should be cut into pieces of about 1-inch thick.


2-3 tablespoons of Char Siu sauce
1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce
1/4 tablespoon of dark soy sauce, just for the color
honey

Directions
1. It's very simple, mix the Char Siu Sauce, the soy sauce and the dark soy sauce and rub everything with the pork. Leave it in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, but longer if possible.

2. Add a rack to a roasting pan and fill the bottom pan with water, which will become the sauce.

3. No need to preheat, just place the meat on the rack and set it to broil for 30 minutes at 450°F.

4. Stop the oven, wait 10 minutes before opening. Flip to the meat over and brush the leftover marinade on top.

5. Roast the pork for another 10 minutes at 400°F.

6. Stop the oven, wait 5 minutes before opening. Brush honey on top.

7. Close the oven door. Leave it there for 5 minutes if it looks slightly burned. If not, roast for 2 more minutes at 300°F, or until it looks ready.

So simple!
 
>
Copyright © Miss-EJ.com. All Rights Reserved