Weekly little adventures (W8): Revisiting hot yoga

Sunday 13 August 2017

I haven't practiced yoga in more than 2 years, mainly because of work. I also wasn't very motivated anymore, and I would sometimes sleep during sessions. It became something I had to do, rather than something I wanted to do. You might wonder, why do I do so many things out of obligation. Well because if I didn't, I'd probably be doing nothing and just sleep all the time. Sometimes, there are things you do because rationally, you know it's for your own good and the benefits are not apparent right away.

Nowadays, my schedule is much more flexible, but I found another passion which is bouldering. Most people who are great at bouldering also do other sports that complements their climbing, and yoga is one of them. Yoga improves your core, balance, flexibility and breathing.

I decided to try it again and just see how I would feel about it. Also because I worked so much in the past weeks that my back needed some serious stretching. What I learned this time is that yoga is better for me when it's not on a frequent basis, because I'm too much of a type A person. I can't always force myself to slow down and be present in everyday tasks. Being a type A also means I have a hard time letting go of goals and outcomes, I can definitely do it once in a while...but I feel like doing it everyday isn't for me.

My friend asked me how come I was so sure that I would love bouldering? Most people would at least try it a few times before investing in climbing shoes and gear, but I purchased everything and got my membership before even touching a climbing wall. I just knew. When you climb, you always try to be better, to be stronger, to climb harder problems. I also learned that I enjoy the strategic element and risk factor in climbing. It's definitely a better match with my personality

I'm happy I gave yoga another try because it made me realize that there are some sports that fits certain personality, and I understand why yoga used to make me feel so stressed when I used to go several times a week. I still think yoga is such a great thing to do when your mind needs a break. It really helped me see things in much more clarity.

 
>
Copyright © Miss-EJ.com. All Rights Reserved