Regrets

Monday 7 December 2015

Two years ago in Africa, a friend asked me if I had any regrets.

I've acted delusionally so many times; drunken flirting, ill-advised text messages, mixed signals and whatnot. I've been a creep, an emotional slob. I've planned romantic proposals and schemed revenges. I've hurt people. I've driven people far away from me and I've embarrassed some. I've been heartbroken and thought about fleeing the country.

You grow older and you know what it's like to see the ones that you loved getting married. You start to think that your capacity of falling in love depletes with age. Your life becomes less dramatic, you get a 9-5 job, you see the world clearly and you're accomplishing things. You want to meet a good person, someone who is sane, someone kinder and more patient, someone who you swear you will be a better person for. It's all so admirable but suffocating. 

I felt like a sociopath sometimes, and it made me feel good. I miss that state of myself; I wasn't at my best but I was at my most humane. Through travelling, I'm reminded of that. I'm reminded what passion is all about. It's okay to be crazy. Nothing is ever too late. Be open-minded and you will be given chances when you’re ready.

I've met people who have never done those crazy things, and I believe those people are innocent of true passion, and I cannot relate. As for me, I've done crazy things in life, but I definitely don't have regrets.

Of course, the outcomes were not always what I wished for, and there were things I could've done differently. However, for everything I undertook, I was ready to accept failure. Regrets are things you didn't do, and not things you did...and I know that I've done everything that I could.

It took me 2 years to write this because I used to think I had this one big regret; a hole in my life. I've blamed myself for what I did, I've apologized and I've forgiven...and I've finally come to the conclusion that there is nothing to regret. I always tried my best and I was myself the whole time...and although I'm not perfect, I don't regret who I am.

"Do you have any regrets?" I return the question.

"Life is too short for regrets."
 
>
Copyright © Miss-EJ.com. All Rights Reserved